Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

Surely the summer will come.  Slowly yet surely.  Fireworks, sleeping in, sitting outdoors, picking berries, road trip.  The list is endless though the summer is short.  It’s going to be a great summer.

Just last week, I got into a conversation with someone I work with.  We were discussing how fortunate of us to be working in school since we have summer break (and any other break related to school).  I honestly don’t know if I could cope if I have to work during the summer months, I’m rather spoiled by the schedule.  I will make do with what I have.  To preserve the precious time summer brings.

blueberry cream cheese pie-1-12

blueberry cream cheese pie-1-9

blueberry cream cheese pie-1-2

Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

Serves 6

Butter for greasing pie plate

Chocolate cookie crust:

1/2 cup sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

—————————————–

6 teaspoons sour cream for garnish

6 mint sprigs for garnish

——————————————-

Arrange an oven rack at center position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter a 9-inch Pyrex pie plate.

To make the chocolate cookie crust:

Melt the butter in a medium bowl, add cookie crumbles, and mix until combined.  Spoon the mixture into pie plate, press into the bottom and sides evenly.  Refrigerate the crust for at least an hour.

To make the filling:

With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat cream cheese until smooth, about 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary.  Continue beating while gradually adding sugar in a thin stream.  Beat in lemon juice and zest.  Finally, add sour cream and eggs, and beat until incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl if necessary.

Pour batter into the prepared pie plate and bake until filling is set and a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.  As it bakes, the mixture will puff up.  When done, remove pie from oven and cool to room temperature.  The filling will deflate slightly as it cools, forming a shallow cavity.

To make the topping:

Combine half of the blueberries, the sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Stir constantly.  As the mixture cooks, the sugar will liquefy and the berries will cook down and release their juices.  Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute.  Remove from heat, and stir in remaining blueberries.  Cool to room temperature.

When both filling and berries are cool, use a slotted spoon and spread berries evenly on top of pie.  Reserve remaining sauce for serving with pie.  Refrigerate pie until chilled, 2 hours or longer.

To garnish pie, spoon 6 dollops of sour cream, evenly spaced, around the edge of the blueberry topping.  Tuck a mint sprig into each dollop.  Serve each slice with a drizzle of reserved blueberry sauce.

Source:  adapted from The Big Book of Backyard Cooking by Betty Rosbottom

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly

13 Comments on Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

1. Dee D.
    May 4, 2011 at 4:44 am (3 years ago)

That looks beautiful! I really love the color :) yumm!

thanks for your nice comment!

2. Jeannie
    May 4, 2011 at 7:15 am (3 years ago)

I got attracted by the photos in foodgawkers and tastespotting and simply have to hop in for a better look at the recipe! Looks so delicious!

thanks for noticing & leaving a comment!

3. Carolyn Jung
    May 4, 2011 at 9:33 am (3 years ago)

It’s only morning here and I’m already thinking how great this would be for breakfast! Is that wrong? But yowza, with that bounty of berries, I just can’t help myself. ;)

I’d say it’s good morning to you! Can’t wait until summer comes when the berries are abundant.

4. Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls
    May 4, 2011 at 1:32 pm (3 years ago)

OMG! That looks absolutely fabulous & ridiculously delicious! YUM!

thank you, you’re so kind! :)

5. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour.com
    May 4, 2011 at 5:21 pm (3 years ago)

This looks heavenly… it does get me in the mood for summer! Lovely photos.

yes, really can’t wait for summer since the weather could be so dreary here :)

6. celia
    May 5, 2011 at 12:44 pm (3 years ago)

My mother used to make a pie similar to this years ago. I don’t have the recipe…. and this one looks delicious!!

that’s so sweet…I hope you’ll try this recipe & find it enjoyable as well!

7. Ann Ever
    May 24, 2011 at 9:42 am (3 years ago)

Mmmm. Found you via foodgawker. Looks so good. Thinking about making it tonight for a dinner I have tomorrow. What type of cookies do you mean by chocolate wafers? Could you give a common brand name please? Thanks!

Hi Anna,
    I used homemade chocolate cookie crumbs using a recipe from Scharffen Berger’s book Essence of Chocolate. If you want to use store bought, try Nabisco’s chocolate wafer cookies. Good luck!

8. Sasha
    June 26, 2011 at 8:41 am (3 years ago)

This looks absolutely delicious! I cant begin to imagine how good it tastes therefore i fully intend to try it and find out :) if its half as yummy as it looks then i will be a very happy lady indeed. Your photos are so pretty too, lovely post all round!

Oh thank you Sasha for your nice comment! I love blueberries and they are so versatile, you can use them in everything :)

9. bujibear
    April 16, 2012 at 5:52 pm (2 years ago)

my use to make one similar to this and i have been trying to make it but never get it. I think this may do it but with a graham cracker pie crust. i can’t wait to try it out.

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

1. Cream Cheese Pie with Blueberry
    May 4, 2011 at 6:40 pm (3 years ago)

[...] Delicious Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie with chocolate cookie crust, cream cheese filling, and blueberry as topping. To garnish pie, spoon 6 dollops of sour cream, evenly spaced, around the edge of the blueberry topping.  Tuck a mint sprig into each dollop. Serve each slice with a drizzle of reserved blueberry sauce. Owner: Eliza in Notes from My Food Diary | Website: link [...]